After their debut at the London Festival of Railway Modelling held at Alexandra Palace last weekend, we are now extremely pleased to be able release images of one of the first test shot samples of our new Branchline OO Class 117 3-car DMU.
The Class 117 DMUs were built by the Pressed Steel Company between 1959 and 1961 as 3-Car units, comprising of a Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS), a Trailer Composite with lavatory (TCL) and a Driving Motor Second (DMS). Though not originally fitted, between 1965 and 1972 gangways were added to all vehicles in the class. The units were based in the Western Region when they entered service, working the suburban routes out of London Paddington and local services in Cornwall. By the 1980s some units could also be found operating stop-gap services around Birmingham and Scotland prior to replacement vehicles being delivered. The class was gradually retired from 1995, with the last vehicles operating in 1999.
Our OO Class 117 3-Car DMU models will feature:
- Our 3-car model will consist of a DMBS, a TCL & a DMS car
- Intricately modelled underframe detail
- Interior & directional lighting
- Prototypical exhaust pipe variations – Original one piece / two piece / exhaust with silencers
- Gangway & non-gangway versions
- Original & modified bogie variations
- Alternative cab ends – Original / marker lights / marker lights & headlight
- A flexible speedo drive between body and bogie
- A lowered drive mechanism in driving cars to create an unobstructed view through windows
- 21-Pin DCC decoder socket
- Conductive couplings requiring only one decoder for DCC operation
- Factory Fitted speaker
- Accessory Pack
The range will include three livery variations:
35-500 in BR Green with speed whiskers in as-built condition, with original style cab fronts, unmodified bogies, original style exhaust and cut buffers.
35-501 in BR Blue & Grey will feature cab ends with marker lights, twin exhausts with silencers fitted, modified bogies, round buffers, gangways, and a bodyside heated louvre in the DMBS car.
35-502 in BR Network SouthEast livery will feature cab ends with marker lights & headlight, twin exhausts with silencers fitted, modified bogies, round buffers, gangways, and a bodyside heated louvre in the DMBS car.